Thursday, January 23, 2014

Chicken in the Snow

"Chicken in the Snow", 18" x 18", acrylic on canvas.

One of my goals for 2014 is to be more direct with my painting. I want painting to be like drawing, feel immediate and expressive. One way to do this I feel is to paint more from life, so Tuesday I went out in the snow to paint. Well this was quite an experience with water based paint. By the end my water cup full of brushes turned to slushy. The wind was whipping, it sounded just like the cartoon version of "Rudolph" when the misfits run away. Once I got paint all over the canvas, I proceeded to drop it face down in the snow three times. So I took it into the studio to dry flat on the table so when the snow melted it didn't make the paint run. Well the end result with a little reworking is pretty cool. Maybe I will go throw another painting down in the snow today.

No comments: