Monday, January 21, 2008

Self Portrait

I can't believe I just did this painting. It seems I am working farther away from what I want to do with each study. I don't want to do portraits from photo references.
I don't think people that came into the gallery this weekend liked my new still life either. I think one of the problems is that it is an acrylic and I used the paint straight from the bottle. We have a lot of gorgeous oils in the gallery and this plastic paint just doesn't cut it unless I really watch the way I use it.

I can't believe that I keep forgetting all the lessons that I have learned and revert back to my old bad habits each time I try something new. So I wrote myself a list of do's and don'ts to hang on my easel.
Don'ts
Make outlines and fill in.
Make solid shapes and then break them apart, all space, no form.
Use acrylic paint straight from the tube of bottle.
Paint from a photo or become too tight too soon.
Do's
Use a sketch as a map not a template.
Paint a feeling or an idea.
Have Fun, paint it, fun in the process.
Use heavy modeling media or lots of fluid media, wet into wet or thick and sculpt it.
Let forms emerge, create shapes as I paint, wet drip, thick swash, scratch in a line, all through out the process.
Like life drawing: wouldn't fill in the outline of a figure then shade it in, emerges from light, heavy, thick and thin marks. Casual.

No comments: