Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Black and White

The artists at the gallery really like the card I designed for next month's show at the Melrose Bay Gallery. I like it too. I am finding the black and white art by Sean Sexton and Michael Kemp so refreshing. I am tempted to try it myself. But the sketches I have been doing lately are breaking down what I see in the landscape into basic shapes. I know that I need basic shapes in order to paint. If I were to try black and white I believe I would need to describe the forms more with line.



Does anyone have inspirational black and white art to share?

I have been running across Van Gogh's drawings lately and find them just as fascinating as his paintings. He was a genius. Take a look at these links. They are not my favorite of his drawings but they give you a good idea. http://www.vangoghgallery.com/catalog/Drawing/1574/Starry-Night.html
http://www.vangoghgallery.com/catalog/Drawing/867/Cypresses-with-Two-Women-in-the-Foreground.html

No comments: