Tuesday, November 23, 2010

New Painting Series

I finally finished one of the three paintings I started for a new series I am attempting. I haven't had a lot of luck with series work. I intend for the paintings to be very similar but they start going in wildly different directions. But I had fun and I am happy with this first one. I wanted to my landscapes to take on symbolic meanings in particular have a path represent life's path. This is a common metaphor for example "being over the hill" but it is such a clear visual representation of past, present and future. I had a lot of ideas about the unknown future being over that hill. Visual symbols ranging from hope to dread. I didn't intend to put a figure in this painting but just appeared and I decided to go with it. I kind of wish I hadn't because I was apprehensive about how it would turn out and had a lot more fun painting the background but I like the painting.
Also I included some of the latest from my preschool art class. We spent about a month on Matisse. His life is a great one to study about overcoming life's obstacles and loving your surroundings. His art teaches great lessons on pattern, line, shape, composition and color too. Great stuff.




No comments: